Tuesday 8 April 2008

Making Backgrounds



Today I thought I would work on making some backgrounds for a couple of oriental cards. So I got out my stamps and inks and paints. The first attempt was done on plain card, I used green ink and smoothed out with baby wipe. Did not come out to the best I wanted but it did have a nice effect in the end. I then stamped in black using my new Laura Ashley stamps, I then added clear embossing powder and heated with the gun. I then used another of my LA stamps this time the bird one, and using gold ink I stamped some birds scattered here and there. The end product you can see if the picture, after I had taken this I then trimmed the edges and used shaped scissors to give the edge a nice effect. I am going to use this background with butterflys that I stamped on acetate and then coloured in with Sakura stardust pens. These make a nice effect on acetate.




The next background I decided to make on photo paper,
I love working with photo paper, the inks really blend in
and you can add water to them. For this background I used to start with lilac ink, this I pressed on with a baby wipe, it gave it a speckled effect, next I used another of my LA stamps this time a sort of butterfly and leaf stamp, using it to look like a washed out fabric effect. To complete I got a bit adventurous and decided to use my small clear butterfly stamp, as it was cheep I thought no problems if I mess it up. So I covered the stamp using my gold pilot pen, then quickly pressed onto the paper in various areas. I must admit it does give a nice gold effect to the paper, but cleaning the stamp was difficult. So if you use this idea make sure you do not use your best stamps...lol.
So I have got some nice backgrounds to play with now, I may cover one of them with acetate and add a little tag or oriental lady. I will post the cards on this blog when completed.
Till then happy crafting everyone.
Holly

No comments: