Sunday, 19 June 2016

Inks and Masking Gum

I thought I would have a try at drawing using Pebeo masking gum. I used watercolour paper for this experiment as I was going to be using really watered down inks and to dampen the paper, did not want a crumpled effect that could happen with plain card. Drawing using just a watercolour brush and using slight amount of gum, I drew in the flowers and stems. After gum was dry (doesn't take long actually) I started with going over the whole area with plain water. Then using varied coloured inks let it bleed into the water.  I used Spectrum noir Aqua Tint inks, the pastel shades to begin with then built up using the Landscape shades. Once the area was dry I then flicked clear water from my brush creating blobs of water on the paper around the base this gave the effect of tiny flowers that I then made more clearer using my white gel pen. The edges I used distress inks first was vintage photo then to darken further I used stormy sky. Using the dandelion seed stamp and make a wish stamp from Inkylicious.  I need more practice with drawing with gum and flowers, although I quite enjoyed doing this sort of art. Next time I am going to try it with actual watercolour paints. Last thought I am not sure if it was the watercolour paper or that I had left the gum on longer than I should have, for when removing the gum it took a little more effort that I thought it would. So might be worth noting if you venture in this design. I have added a link below for the gum I used and where you can get the Aqua tint inks. So on that note have fun creating and experimenting.
Aqua Tint Inks

Friday, 3 June 2016

A little bit Guns n Roses with added steampunk

I decided to venture into this project after my Christmas shadow box themed on A Night Before Christmas. Another shadow box I know but I really enjoy making these and I can be very creative with them for you can add depth to the scenes. This one I think I went slightly overboard but kept me busy for hours. I decided to use black card for my box and covers, then covering it with a few layers of tissue paper giving me some nice textures. I then used Dylusions spray ink, teal colour giving a slight covering, then used a brush and some water to give it a wash all over the area. Once dry I was able to add some bronze and blue wax to give it a rustic effect. I found some nice wings from colouring pages and inked them up and added more wax and shine to both. Then found a top hat shape this I covered with some Tim Holtz tissue paper and added more bronze wax. For the hat band I just folded up some spare paper then inked it and used brads to fix to the hat. the Skull was a MDF shape I found at Ally Pally off the MDF man who normally has a stand there. Some fantastic shaped were to be had this year. I then did the same with the skull added tissue paper to give textures its a little hard to see in the photo. I wanted to add some teeth rather than have a gap so managed to design  some on my graphics programme then cut them out using the cricut machine. The cogs are using black card they are layered to give more thickness, then I just rubbed over with the bronze buff it wax. The clock hands are from the Tim Holtz clock die as is the part of the clock that you can see. Total fun was had making this box. For the front cover I kept with the theme and added clocks with cogs and some skull charms as you can see from the photo below. I also covered the front card the same as the box using all the same textures and colours.

Fun fun fun....whatever your making enjoy it be adventurous too!